I’m at a resort in Tucson, Arizona right now. Not on vacation as I still have to work all day (God bless working from home) but I did run up to the pool area during lunch to check it out. While I was there this guy, who had an AMAZING looking woman on his arm, was paying no attention to her and had his tongue hanging out at every girl who walked by. I’m quite certain he will need a neck brace by the end of his stay from all the head-turning going on.
You could easily tell his girl was P.I.S.S.E.D. off. She had her arms folded across her ample chest. She had an “I’m going to murder you in your sleep” look on her face. And her right hand was twitching uncontrollably. You would have to be blind to NOT see the rage pouring off this poor girl.
My first reaction was to go up to the guy and punch him in the face. Since I wasn’t in the mood for prison, my second thought was to go up to him and tell him what a buffoon he is. But he was a pretty big guy and I was a chicken. My third thought was to go apologize to his girl for the fact that her man is a complete asshat and recommend she immediately leave (or poison) him. Alas, I kept my nose out of it, though it was a challenge.
Here are my thoughts for the day regarding being a dumbass (whether you are male or female):
- Don’t be one. Pretty simple, right?
- If you feel dumbass behavior coming on, like the flu, stop it. You have a choice on whether or not to be a dick or a bitch. Stay away from the dark side.
- If you are with someone, pay attention to them. Whether they are supermodel material, like the chick today, or a normal looking person like the rest of us, you are with THEM! Show some damn respect. So often people think it’s about insecurity. It’s not always about that. It’s about respect. If you are with someone, you are with them. Not every other hot piece of ass that walks by.
- If you no longer want to be with someone and that’s why you are treating them like shit, do them a favor and break up with them. They most certainly deserve better.
- When in doubt, in regards to all behaviors, think first about how you’d feel if someone did something shitty to you or said something unkind. How would you feel? If you think you wouldn’t much like it, then maybe you shouldn’t do it either.
People talk about the Golden Rule. Treat others as you want to be treated. I have that view and another one. I call it the Platinum Rule. Treat others as they want to be treated. Men and women are different. We think differently, we act differently, we communicate differently. And that’s good. It’s okay to have differences. But underneath it all, we all want to be treated kindly and with respect. Believe me, you will be in awe over how wonderful your life can be if you treat others well. They become nicer and happier. As a result they’ll be nicer to you. Then you’ll be happier too. That, my friends, is a win/win situation.
Now all I need to find is my stepladder as standing way up on this soapbox is scary. Time to get down!
Soapbox image procured from: http://majorinthegraceofgod.blogspot.com/2012/03/what-does-your-soapbox-say.html