Howdy everyone! I’m so thankful it’s Friday I could weep like a sad kitten!
Since it is hot as friggin’ hell out here in Arizona (someone kill me) I thought since I’m staying inside (never to leave the house again until November) that I’d do two things.
- Give you a lip-smacking, damn good recipe from my cookbook.
- Give you a link to vote for Rants From My Crazy Kitchen as being one of the top 25 Foodie Moms. You’ll remember her not only from her awesome blog, but she contributed two delicious recipes to the cookbook. Yummy drool drool! Click HERE to vote for her and her awesome blog. I’m sure she will be very thankful you took the time.
Okay, so you guys know that I’m a cookbook writer that HATES HATES HATES to cook. Yeah, I know. I’m a whacko. Anyway, I’m going to give you a recipe for one of THE BEST desserts you can ever make and I kid you not, a blind hamster could make it–it’s THAT easy! It’s the perfect cake to take to a BBQ. It’s the perfect cake to take to bed and eat with your hands until you pass out (at least you are already laying down–less likely to get injured).
This recipe is good for a few reasons:
- It’s cheap to make.
- It’s easy as hell to make and takes about 4 minutes to throw together.
- I’ve never met anyone who didn’t want a second helping.
- I’ve never met anyone who didn’t want a third helping.
I’m going to give you the recipe straight from the book, little story and all (each recipe has its own story because I talk too damn much!). I hope you love it! Oh, and GO VOTE for Rants!! She’s awesome and I’d love to see her make it into the top 25 Foodie Moms again this year.
Let me say that on their own, I don’t like many of the ingredients in this cake. The first time my mom made it and handed me a piece I thought to myself, “GROSS! Cherries and pineapple? Vomit. Must. Keep. Smile. On. Face. While. Gagging.” Then I took a bite. Then I took another. Then I took 20 more and ended up eating 3 pieces of it. Somehow, all the flavors come together into this conglomeration of co-mingled delights in a way that I never would have expected. Of course, anything with a stick and a half of butter is bound to be delicious. Besides which, it truly is the single most easy homemade cake you will ever make. Ever. Period.
Below is Mom’s recipe from 1978. Thank goodness that she saves everything. I sure know who I get my pack rat tendencies from.
The list of yum yums:
- One 18- to 20-ounce can of cherry pie filling—the extra cherry kind if possible
- 1 – 1½ sticks of butter
- One 20-ounce can of un-drained pineapple rings
- 1 box of yellow cake mix
Dumping it all together:
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F.
- Butter the bottom and sides of a 9×13 glass dish.
- Place a single layer of pineapple rings on the bottom of the dish and pour the juice over the pineapple.
- Pour the can of cherry pie filling on top of the pineapple and spread so the cherries are distributed evenly.
- Pour the dry yellow cake mix over the pineapple and cherries and level it out. Don’t mash the cake mix, just gently level it out and make sure it’s evenly dispersed.
- The take a stick or stick and a half of butter, slice it into 1/8-inch thick slices and put it over the entire cake top about an inch apart.
- Bake at 350 °F for about an hour or until the top is crispy brown.
I can’t even begin to describe how tasty this cake is. And seriously, have you ever read an easier cake recipe? It’s even easier than boxed cake. I would serve this cake to a chef. A president. A Nobel Prize winner. There is no shame in serving this cake to anyone and everyone. It may have taken you 3 minutes to make it, but no one would ever guess that in a million years. It is absolutely fantastic.
Enjoy everyone! Have a fantastic weekend! Luv ya!